National Diploma In Health Information Management (NDHIM)
Health Information Management (HIM) is the practice of acquiring, analyzing, and protecting digital and traditional medical information vital to providing quality patient care. HIM professionals are responsible for ensuring the completeness, accuracy, and security of patients’ health information and use it to support patient care and decision-making.
The field combines information technology, healthcare, and business management to support the delivery of healthcare services. With the increasing use of electronic health records, the demand for HIM professionals is on the rise, making it a growing and dynamic field.
Overall, HIM professionals play a critical role in the healthcare industry by ensuring that patient information is complete, accurate, and secure, and by using it to support patient care and decision-making.
Mallam Musa Ahmed
The objective of studying Health Information Management (HIM) is to prepare individuals to play a critical role in the healthcare industry by ensuring the completeness, accuracy, and security of patient information. By studying HIM, individuals can acquire the knowledge, skills, and competencies necessary to support the delivery of quality patient care.
The following are some of the key objectives of studying HIM:
- To understand the theory and principles of healthcare information management, including data collection, analysis, and security.
- To learn how to use health information technology (HIT) tools and systems, such as electronic health records (EHRs), to manage patient information.
- To develop skills in data analysis, including the ability to identify trends and patterns in patient information and use it to improve patient care and outcomes.
- To gain knowledge of relevant laws and regulations, such as the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), and ensure compliance with them.
- To understand the importance of maintaining the confidentiality and privacy of patient information, and implement appropriate security measures to protect it.
- To learn how to educate and train healthcare staff on best practices for managing and using patient information.
- To develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and be able to identify and implement solutions to improve patient care and outcomes.
Minimum of Five O’Level Credit at not more than Two Sittings which must include English, Mathematics, Biology, Physics, Chemistry, or anyother relevant subject
The following are some of the key job roles of an HIM professional:-
Medical Record Maintenance: HIM professionals are responsible for maintaining and updating patient medical records, ensuring that they are complete and accurate.
- Data Analysis: HIM professionals analyze patient information to identify trends and patterns that can be used to improve patient care and outcomes.
- Data Security: HIM professionals are responsible for ensuring the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of patient information by implementing security measures such as access controls and disaster recovery plans.
- Compliance: HIM professionals ensure that the organization complies with relevant laws and regulations regarding patient information, such as the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).
- Health Information Technology (HIT) Support: HIM professionals use HIT tools and systems to manage patient information, such as electronic health records (EHRs).
- Education and Training: HIM professionals provide training and education to healthcare staff on best practices for managing and using patient information.
- Quality Improvement: HIM professionals use data analysis to identify opportunities for improving patient care and outcomes and implement changes to processes and systems as needed.
Start Your Journey as a Health Information Management Professional NOW